Sunday, June 8, 2014

Cancer Support Group

I did not know that FGA has a support group for cancer patients to support each other physically, emotionally and spiritually until my granny's passing. I was told that the group is still new; about a year old.

Some months ago, I went to this support group right after contacting the late sister Sharon Yap who was a pancreatic cancer stage 4 patient herself. There were about a few calls before meeting her in real person for the first during the second Sunday service around the month of March.

To me, a cancer patient can be easily recognised with its physical appearance. Pale and extremely thin. Patients who are able to walk are normally walking in a very careful walking posture.

I have so far, attended  one meeting with the support group, consisting cancer patients of all types - breast cancer, colon cancer, pancreatic cancer and liver cancer. My emotions are a mixture of both sadness and also fear.

I cannot even tell if it is the sadness and fear of my own situation or the heart that pours out to those patients and also caregivers. Maybe both. There are a small number who are survivors. They shared not just the gospel but also the feelings and also struggles they have to go through.

The coming meeting shall be on June 14. I do not know how I will be feeling. As for now, I can fairly say I am slowly picking up the remnants of my life after granny's passing.

I love you, Granny...

No comments:

Post a Comment