Monday, May 11, 2015

9th Week of Recovery & Progressing

Maybe this is the only best full length shot I have of myself that reveals my knees

My recovery has so far been more of a surprise than an anticipated one. At least for me. 

For the very first time, I fell asleep during my physiotherapy session while doing hamstring curl. Half way through, with the cooling air-conditioned space and a clean and comfortable bed ( is that what you call it anyway? ), I doze-off in no time. I was caught red-handed by the rehab centre's receptionist, whom then related it to the therapist who treated me. Gosh...

As I walked around at home often without any clutches at all, but, still near to the wall or some heavy furnitures for support, I can sense that my muscles are really working. There are some muscles tightness on the side of the thighs, slight pain on the knees and ticklish pain on my calves when they are swelling badly. All these are normal challenges I need to go through with.

While talking to my therapist during one fine physiotherapy session, I realized that I forgot to take down a photo of my knees before the surgery. Goodness! I went through my stack of photos in my phone and I really could not find any photo of it. How sad! And most of my photos are photos of me wearing long pants. And mind you, this is the secret of me having smooth skin for my calves, my dear therapists! Lesser sun exposure to skin, the more wonder to it!

Maybe I do have one. Somewhere. I would not know until I dig out all those old photos in my portable hardisk. The thing about having one as record is that to remind myself not to pull any more stunts that could damage my dear knees. The only thing I might be able to show in near future may probably the X-ray I took in July 2014 and one some time this month. It would be a comparison of my previous and current condition. By then, I would describe the condition of my knees before the surgery. 

The journey, though physically painful, it is still, as what Boon said, a memorable one. She had been through it with one of her knees and she knows what it is like. As for me, having two knees to be repaired at one go, no words can describe the feeling I have. Not that I am proud of the courage I had and the perseverance to grit through this. I am not. Basically, I am amazed even to this very moment with a lot of things. And for this I got to say that, all glory to God.

Today, my colleagues realized that I was walking much much better than last week. I felt so too. Hope this is not too early to say. Touch wood! Touch wood! But, seriously. Last week, I walked much crab-by than today. The muscles reaction is much quicker too. 

How did I know that it is quicker? It is because I nearly tripped and fell that it comes to my realization that it has improved. Nowadays, the chances of me enduring muscle cramps and sudden knee-lock are much frequent. I took extra precaution as I walk and always need to remember that I still need the clutches to walk to further distance and uneven ground. There are mornings where my dad needs to remind me to bring my clutches ( now you can imagine how eager I was to fully recover and be able to do normal things again ).

Apart from pains, cramps and muscle tightness around my legs, I also suffer these to other part of my body. Like today, I accidentally twisted my left arm ( between the elbow and shoulder. But, nearer to the shoulder ). And that does not help with stairs and slopes as I rely mostly on the strength of my arms and hands with the clutches to support myself around.

Whenever my knees are tired or in pain, I will transfer the strength to my hands and arms and to the clutches. Now with a twisted left arm, I need to have my legs more mobile and handle the situation the best of the knees ability.






No comments:

Post a Comment