Friday, May 22, 2015

Consultation with Doctor....What?! You Do Not Know How Ketupat is Cooked?!

On May 2nd, 2015, my appointment with the doctor was early. Got the date set about 2 to 3 weeks ago. And last visit was the highlight of the recovery session. He found the way I walked funny. I went like " It ain't funny, doc! "

But, still... he found it funny mainly because I am still walking like a crab ( this is what I prefer to describe the way I walk as for now ). So, this round I got Julie to tag along as she also needed to see the doctor.

The first thing he did was to ask me to do the 'catwalk'. I, on the other hand showed him the x-ray that was done July last year and also in year 2011. He was disappointed that the one in year 2011 does not showed the top view of the knees. One thing learned. You need to have the top view of the knees to be x-rayed for reference.

The 'catwalk' was a mini session. The rest was a solid 20 minutes food and health educational lecture. In total, I have like a good 25 minutes consultation session with him.

Straight to the point, shall we? And this is how the consultation went between me and doctor :

Doc   : Walk for me.
Me    : Huh? Before I forgot, I brought something which you asked for weeks back. Hope not too late.
Doc  : What's that? X-ray?
Me   : Yeah. You said you want to compare.

Doctor took out the x-ray result taken in year 2011 and compare it with the current one. Only to find out that, like I mentioned before, the missing top view of the x-ray. The one taken last last year will then be compared to the one I am about to take by end of this month.

Doctor teased me again ( yes, again ) about my stay at the nursing home. Well, so long everyone was happy, as in doctor got to enjoy his session of consultation ( mini entertainment session during stressful consultation by doctor is a must. Doctor is human after all ), Julie entertained in a way and me...me... just being me basically.

Doc   : You still walk like someone been circumcised.
Me    : You did muscle release what. So, I need a bit of time to adjust to this new situation.
Doc   : Not new. Temporary.
Me    : Yeah. Temporary.
Doc   : Now... You got to cycle everyday.
Me    : Everyday?!
Doc   : Yeah. Why are you so surprised? You need to. At least an hour.
Me    : ( considering my choice of word now ) I don't have a bicycle at home.
Doc   : Then get one.
Me    : How to ride? I mean I am not even stable. And to ride at the middle of the road?!
Doc  : Get one like in the physio centre.
Me   : House too small. No space.
Doc  : There are ways.
Julie : Gym la!
Me   : ( Ahem! ' Thank you '. That is really of ' great ' help now because doctor gets to have a longer lecture with me )....
Doc   : Precisely. Just do not understand why patients are so stingy to invest in their health. Do you know what out of 100 household, 20% has bicycle at home. And out of 20%, only 1% that cycles? And where does the 1% at?
Me    : Gym?
Doc   : Right. So... get that started and start taking red meat. Helps a lot with the growth of the cartilage. How's your diet, by the way?
Me    : More on fish and chickens and vegetables.
Doc   : Not enough. You need red meat for iron. If you eat fish and chicken, then your cartilage is like fish and chicken texture. You need iron.
Me    : Hmmm...
Doc   : You see... Do you know ' ketupat '?
Me    : Uh-huh.
Doc   : Do you know how they are prepared?
Me    : ....no....
Doc   : No?! You do not know?!
Me    : I sincerely do not know. I just know how to eat them. C'mon, doc! Not a very surprising thing that females nowadays does not know how to cook! I am not you. You are passionate about cooking. Not me...yet...
Doc   : Tell me that you know how rice are cooked. ( look hard at me now )
Me    : Aiyah...that one I know la... Should have said rice not ' ketupat '.
Doc   : ( hand gestures of someone praying ) Thank you God that she actually know how to cook rice... Thank you... ( still praying hand gestures ). Now... your cartilage is still growing. And this is the best time to feed the cartilage. You do not expect the food you ate will eventually fall straight to your knees just like that. No. There are holes which I drilled and those holes need to be fed. And no other way than cycling. You need to compressed those nutrients into the holes. Make it hard. But, not too hard. Like cooking rice you see. Rice when they are cooking, you see some holes in between the rice, right?
Me    : ( nodding my head )
Doc   : And that's how it should be. You feed those holes. Cartilage needs to eat too. They need nutrients to grow become harder. But, not too hard. It has to be just nice. Density just nice you see.

Jokes aside. On a serious note.

Questions and answers for easy understanding.

1.   Can I still take calcium tablets even when I am fully recovered?
      Yes. But, I do encourage you to take natural resources of both calcium and glucosamine. Try not         to pamper your body with tablets or pills.
      My view : Great point. If not, why does God bother to create all these for us human to consume?

2.   Can I play basketball after full recovery?
      Advisable, no. Basketball is a rough sport. Too many fast and rough movements which involve the knees. Twisting especially.

Meanwhile, the hunt for the full length photo of myself is quite daunting. Manage to find this one which is really a disappointment. Taken in April 2011.



No comments:

Post a Comment