Wednesday, May 1, 2013

From Perak with Love - Batu Gajah & Bidor ( Day 1 )

I just came back from Perak for a very short getaway. I may not be able to make it to Bangkok, Thailand or Garut, Indonesia as I hoped for. But, this short holiday is really worth it.

I fell in love with Perak instantly once GL and her husband brought me around for a mini tour. My goals had been fulfilled instantly and in a very short period of time.

Ipoh with majority of Chinese population is famous for its variety of Chinese food. As it is a Chinese populated town, the place is very warm and welcoming. I feel comfortable staying here even for a day because I am here for food hunting and language is the important ' weapon ' when it comes to ordering good food.

Fortunate enough for me, their main Chinese dialect is Cantonese language followed by Mandarin and Foo Chou. English is also widely spoken as Ipoh is becoming a favourite tourist destination. You have to really tour around to know its attraction and I will say that it will be the best to have someone you know to bring you around.

In my case, I have GL and his her husband! It took us about an hour 15 minutes to reach Bidor to try the duck mee at Pun Chun Restaurant. Got here about 11 in the morning and driving between the speed of 80 km to 110 km per hour.

Pun Chun is located at the old town of Bidor. A few minutes drive ( if you are at the right track ) from the toll, you will be able to reach this place.

Address : Pun Chun (Bidor) Restaurant, 38 & 40, Jalan Besar, 35500 Bidor, Perak, Malaysia.
Telephone : 05- 434 1554 & 05-434 1562   

Pun Chun (Bidor) Restaurant

Handmade delicacies which came out fresh from the oven the time we arrived


Nicely taken photos of some of their famous menus available

More food options hanging near the ceiling!



A worker hard at work preparing dishes for customers

Duck mee at Pun Chun, Bidor as brunch






We continue our journey to Ipoh town after brunch. The journey takes us about 40 minutes, passing Batu Gajah. By the way, there is a reason why they call the place Batu Gajah ( 'rock elephant ' if I were to translate it directly to English ).

Take a look at the following photos and you will understand why. The shape of the mountain does look like an elephant!


Batu Gajah from afar

 Another angle of Batu Gajah taken while the car we were in moving





RM30 per night?! First time we saw such budget style hotel in Ipoh town

No comments:

Post a Comment